Friday, April 16, 2010

Trousers, Salad Cream, and Trams

So getting a lot of 'bonding' time in, being only 4 of us here still. The girls are awesome - I can't wait to see what all the dynamics are going to be like with all our different personalities. So cool to be rooming with people that are on the same page as you and share your passion! I love it. I thought it would be a lot harder to adjust and to let it sink in that this is my new home for the next 3 months before we change up locations, but it's really not. I'm actually finding it surprisingly easy. The staff is amazing - the directors are only in their mid 20's and are super cool. The cook is a very sweet lady with an awesome sense of humour. Everyone thinks of her as the school’s mother and she has helped here at the manor for 12 years. She already told us that her office (which is actually located in their massive food pantry) is always open, and if we ever need her at any hour, there is a phone on her desk with her number on it so we can call her. She said that she has consoled many homesick or distraught girls at that desk, and has a special drawer of chocolate for those times when us girls ‘need’ them, if you know what I mean. ;)
There are about 20-25 staff, and at most time s they have about 50. There are 6 married couples that are on staff here, 5 of them have young children and we were each invited to one of their 'dorms' for dinner tonight. Karissa and I went to one of these people's place and ended up staying for several hours. Their testimonies are so amazing and their girls are sweethearts. The woman has been working with YWAM for the last 12 years and actually started her ministry in Budapest working in the streets helping women get out of prostitution. She would go right into the brothels and start evangelizing. I sat amazed as she shared with us and openly answered our questions about her work and experiences.
For dinner I had the opportunity to try another new thing - Salad Cream. It was... interesting. I was warned that most people find it nasty but I am open to trying new things. I can't really describe what it tastes like... sort of like mayonnaise mixed with thousand island dressing but it's thick like mayonnaise and kind of a creamy-white colour. We also had this packaged desert thing that was banana yogurt on one side and then a pouch thing of tiny chocolate balls on the other and you mix them together. It was pretty good! (At first I didnt know what they were talking about, though, because they sound like they're saying 'yog-gut' ahah) But the lady kindly invited us to join her on the morrow when she goes into Cuckfield (which is pronounce 'Cookfield' apparently)to run some errands. She said she would show us around a little bit. I got excited because she said Saturday was 'Candy Day' at their house and they always go to this one store in Cuckfield that is shaped like a massive teddy bear and is full of those glass jars of candy that you have to weigh when you buy them. AH! So fun! =D
So I remembered today that when you say 'pants' it actually means your underwear here, and when you say 'fanny-pack' you're calling someone an a-hole. Lovely. Wont make that mistake again! Also, trams are strollers. Which made sense after I wondered why one of the mothers here had put her 3 week old baby in the tram for a walk - I didnt think that would be particularly safe. Turns out a tram isnt a train, however, so I was okay.
Did some more exploring this afternoon – so much to see that I haven’t even walked the grounds yet. Im planning on doing that tomorrow. The detailing of this place is so cool though! I can’t get over it. I’m sorry, but everything is going to look so bland when I get home. Even the ceilings have carvings and beautiful mouldings. It’s about 11pm here and us girls just got back form wandering around the manor. They don’t really use lights because it would cost a fortune to keep this place lit, so it was interesting finding our way through all the halls in the dark. We found a room underground in one of the hallways that has a painted door called ‘The Underground’, which was locked earlier today but we found it was open just now. Inside is pretty cool – kind of a hang out place with these artsy glass mosaic walls and a mini fridge, microwave, tv, and a shelf with some board games.
We have a bbq planned for dinner because 3 more students are supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow, which will be splendid. Us girls are gonna go for a walk and check out some of the country-side in the afternoon.
I now sit on the red carpet in the middle of a grand wooden staircase that wraps around and is three levels high. There’s an open landing on the second floor with another, smaller staircase that is only 5 steps which leads to the second floor dorms, but is no less exquisite in the carved detail of its wooden banister. It’s 11:15pm here and I sit typing by the dim light of a single wall lantern, staring in fascination at the beautifully carved arch that is framed by delicate stain glassed windows and can’t help but be amazed. It’s stunning. I wish I could snap a mental picture and send it via brainwave to you, but I’m afraid not even a photo would do any of this place justice. It’s so quiet – most people are already sleeping, and I find solace in the peace of the silence. I love just sitting in the old rooms, with the original carpeted walls still intact, and imaging what it would have been like to live here when it was built. I find myself making up stories about the people who walked these halls before me and in my mind I travel back in time to experience the lifestyle and culture that they were a part of. I found some pictures of original rooms on the internet that I will post if I can figure out how. It’s amazing to see them and picture the rooms as they were back then while I stand on the same floor.
Anyways. It’s almost midnight here so I think I’m gonna go get some tea and read or play some cards with my new companions. I would have uploaded a few pictures if I had taken any =P and if I had the cable to hook my camera up to my computer. Mom said she was gonna ship it out here soon so we’ll get some up pretty quick. =)

Cheerio!

3 comments:

  1. Well, now you've got me making up stories about the people who lived in that house when it was built. Oh for a writing date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I see that a good nights sleep has stirred those creative God given writing juices! I think you have adapted well to your environment. How great to be surrounded by such wonderful people with the same heart.
    My last comments didn't enter for some reason.

    P.S. I will promptly send you the cable you need.! XOXO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks mom. You would love this place. <3

    ReplyDelete