We had our introduction to our classes today and boy was there a lot to cover! We havent even begun our lectures yet and I've already found myself thinking in new ways and considering options that I had never allowed myself to think of before. We do get homework, so despite what you may think, it's not all fun and games. I have aready begun one of our required readings and have skimmed through some of the other projects we have to complete. Im looking forward to tomorrow because we get to start our first day of classes! Then in the afternoon I get a break from cooking because on Thursdays instead of work duties, we do work outside in the flowerbeds and on the grounds, then we are on a rota and visit different staff member's places for tea. It's a nice break from having to make tea for so many people every day!
I do believe I shall come home as a replicated Martha Stuart. Yesterday we made veggie quiche n baked potatoes for tea which was quite an experience. I succeeded in burning my finger and nearly lighting my arm on fire. But in my defense, those self-light ovens are tricky, ESPECIALLY if you dont know whether or not the gas is even on. Whey do they make you light the blasted thing in the back anyways? Ah well, aside from missing half the hair on my arm, no harm done.
I love how we make most of the food here from scratch. I suppose that will come in handy down the road. I feel like that movie "Julie & Julia", cooking for several hours every day. I get to wear these knock-out aprons and bright blue hair nets - they are fantastic.
Today I learnt how to play cricket, which was an experience in and of itself. Im not exactly hand-eye co-ordinated at times... but it was jolly good fun. Did you know that a cricket game lasts 5 days?! That blew me away! I didn't have the patience for more than a few hours, let alone 5 days. I have a feeling it might become a regular after dinner tradition, however.
After a friendly game of cricket, us ladies decided to actually slap on some make up and went to the local pub with our leaders. Before any of you freak out, pubs out here are like coffee shops back home. They aren't all loud and rowdy, they're just nice places to hang out and grab some good food.
I have come to the conclusion that I may come home a Brit. I find great amusement in walking around the manor mimicking some of the staff's accents and learning all their cool terms for things. I already told them not to get offended if I mimick them and they just laugh or help me pronounce things 'properly'. On top of that, I do believe I have acquired a strong adoration - or rather an addiction - to English tea. I was never a tea drinker but now I find myself making regular trips to the kitchen to make a 'cupa' for myself.
It's late. Im tired.
Cheers!
Well, the tea would have to be pretty good in order to make a convert of out of me. Can't stand the stuff. You may have to send some out this way so we Canadians can experience the true British cuppa. I have a visual of you in the apron and hair net. Hmm. Very cute. Sounds like you are having the time of your life over there, pretty girl, and I am so happy about that. I must say, though, that I do miss you popping in at the store on your way to pick up Rhett. Love you lots!
ReplyDeleteDear Julia,
ReplyDeleteCan you have supper ready at 5:30 today?? LOL
Glad to hear that you are FINALLY starting the classes. Can hardly wait to hear about them. Have others arrived? Maybe your room should be red/white/blue when you come home, Jess could help me with that!
I know, but the tea is actually amazing here. Im addicted. And u dont have to imagine me in the apron and hairnet - im pretty sure some pictures found their way on my facebook. ahah!
ReplyDeletewell, we AIM to have it ready at 5:30 but i think our best time was 5:41 =S
ahahah! jess would LOVE it if you recruited her =P